Saturday, September 20, 2014

Song of the Week #316

This week I wrote about bike shops....click here for more.


By the time you read this you will know result of the referendum into Scottish Independence. The "no" vote has won, but not by much. During the week I was rather amazed to read that Scots not resident in the country thought they should still get a vote. I'm not talking about people on holiday, I mean people who have made a choice to live somewhere else. I have noticed also in recent years that a number of countries allow ex-pats to vote in their elections. What a load of nonsense. If you don't live there, you shouldn't rate a vote. Why? Well for one reason you don't have a true view of what life there is like. If ex-pats could claim a vote then I certainly could. I was born in Scotland and I'm a British Citizen (as well as an Australian one). But I haven't lived there since I was about 7. What do I know other than what I've read? Nothing.


Battlefield Band - The Rovin' Dies Hard - http://youtu.be/9qZZ01RFf_Q

 

In a similar vein I read a whole lot of moaning that the Australian radio and TV network broadcasting throughout SE Asia would cease. The people up in arms were ex-pats who would be unable to get their fix of Aussie news or football. Seriously? You think that the taxpayers here should support that? Unless I'm mistaken, Australian broadcasting into other areas of the world is important for other reasons but not so that people living away from home can watch the footy.


The Members - Radio - http://youtu.be/xvWQenFo9Xo

 

Wow, I sound grumpy this week.  Why stop now? Let's talk about taxation.

 

I got my tax refund notice this week. A few extra dollars in my hand. That's nice. Along with the notice of assessment was a set of figures and a chart telling me how the Federal Government spent the money they took out of my pay. There was also a figure reflecting Australia's level of debt. This has increased by quite a lot…$63 billion…under the Abbott Government. But I digress, I'm not here to score cheap, easy points at the expense of the PM whilst he's busy committing us to an expensive war…which will help the bottom line so much. Grrrrr! The chart of expenditure reveals how little we spend on aid and law enforcement. Servicing government debt takes a big chunk as does welfare. Anyone reading that graph would think that Australia is tight. Maybe we are.


Jimmy Buffett - Carnival World - http://youtu.be/kNuZ6SQj12M

 

I've failed to get to the music shop this week. And I'm not keen on buying music as a download. Thankfully Soundcloud, YouTube and other online services have kept me going. I've also be re-watching some episodes of the riotously funny TV show "Bottom" starring Rik Myall and Ade Edmonson.


Opening Montage - Bottom - http://youtu.be/E3-bHYKAerk


Mayall / Edmonson - Chess - http://youtu.be/7yH0Vh3ZBoQ

 

Bands I've been listening to this week include Sweet Apple, Bob Mould, Springsteen. Throwing some albums onto the old iPod shuffle and letting it roll around in the background has been an excellent way to revisit old tunes and become more familiar with new ones. I'm not too sure how my new colleagues are going with the bagpipe sounds emanating from my office though.


Sweet Apple - Boys In Her Fanclub - http://youtu.be/v5wj0_cD_J0


Finally, I read that The Living End might record another album. I'd buy that for a dollar (or two) - and not on download either. Fingers crossed!


The Living End - Pictures In The Mirror (live) - http://youtu.be/0Kr_Mc4T61c


I'm off to see Witchskull tonight at the ANU Bar. If you're in Canberra and you like heavy music you should be there.


DJ Rob


"...it ain't no fun waitin' 'round to be a millionaire..." - AC/DC, 1976.

No comments:

Post a Comment