Friday, February 20, 2015

Song of the Week #337

Welcome back friends, listeners, readers and stalkers.

To follow up briefly from last week let me point out that news in from the Van Halen camp is that Dave's vocals will not be overdubbed or cleaned up on the live recording. This could be a good or a bad thing. Also, many thanks to DJ WotsOn for letting me know that one of his friends, a member of TISM indeed passed away a few years ago; very sad. I did enjoy the line in the obituary though that Jock didn't follow football or cricket, he supported Eric Clapton!

Cream - White Room (live) - http://youtu.be/dCc00pX_pFA

You may or may not have head of a MOOC (massive open online course). Many universities are offering courses for anyone who'd like to sign up and study them online. For free. I decided to try one out when I realised that to study a Masters degree was going to cost a minimum of $20,000. Really I was looking for something interesting and a bit different. There's a few versions of MOOCs around and I simply looked around until I found a course that grabbed my interest. So, now I'm working my way through lectures from the University of North Carolina about the music, stories and art of the USA's southern states. It's pretty good so far. The lecturer (Bill Ferris) has had people such as BB King come and present to his real world (as opposed to online) students; wow!

BB King - How Blue Can You Get? - http://youtu.be/l45f28PzfCI

New music (well new to me at least) is Black Joe Lewis. Joe is from Austin, Texas and plays energetic rock music heavily influenced by garage punk, blues and Motown. I saw him play a couple of songs on a TV show this week and decided to investigate further. It was very worthwhile. Sometimes he gets a little bit shouty for my liking but it's a tiny little criticism. Check him out...

Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears - Sugarfoot - http://youtu.be/oJ-M_8pY6TI

Dave Grohl (Nirvana, Foo Fighters) can't seem take a trick. I was a bit dismayed to see criticism of him being made Record Store Day Ambassador because he is a white male. Wow, I just thought he was a rock star. I agree that when you look at the list of past ambassadors then there is a definite trend towards white males but that's not the end of the world. Dave rocks hard, is passionate about his music and is seen playing with anyone and everyone. He's a great ambassador for rock music regardless of his genetic makeup.I agree that they could share the job around a bit better but I think Dave is a solid choice. Bear in mind that I am NOT a Foo Fighters fan.

Dave Grohl and John Fogerty - Fortunate Son (live) - http://youtu.be/R_52PIcX5Y8

Sad news today from Iron Maiden with it being revealed that singer, Bruce Dickinson, will undergo treatment for cancer on his tongue. Ouch. Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Who could be a stand in do you think if they needed one for a while? Not Dave Grohl, he's too busy. Not Jack Black, he's too busy pretending to be Ronnie James Dio! I know that DJ DucklingsDad would suggest John Bush...and I'd back him on that one. John sings again with Armored Saint after the band went on hiatus during his time with Anthrax.

Armored Saint - Aftermath - http://youtu.be/XM5Ei89hkq0

Most people have songs from their teenage years that mean a lot to them. I may have more than most but that's just the way my mind works! In 1988 I bought a copy (on vinyl) of an EP that Metallica released. It was billed as being them recording some songs in a garage. That's mostly true. What was unexpected is that the record would become a classic and the vinyl version a collectors item. I still have my copy and listening to it this week took me back to some good memories. At the time I bought it I knew none of the songs and it didn't really matter. I'm not sure in 1988 that I realised they were are cover versions! DJ DJ has the very collectible CD version. It was re-released with the Garage Inc. album but there are some rather obvious glitches in the songs so that you can tell you're not listening to the original.

Metallica - The $5.98 EP Garage Days Re-Revisited (the full EP) - http://youtu.be/ZZ9cyFnkb38

You don't need to be a genius to work out why this song gets an airing this week. But in case you haven't been paying attention, it's the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Iwo Jima. This song is about one of the men who was there. Johnny Cash's voice and delivery just cut you to the quick in this track.

Johnny Cash - The Ballad of Ira Hayes - http://youtu.be/l45f28PzfCI

Finally, some rap. I was listening to some mash-ups recently and this band featured heavily. Even if rap or hip-hop isn't your thing the energy and all around awesomeness of Run DMC is hard to deny.

Run DMC - It's Like That - http://youtu.be/_hN1SKVx31s

That's it for this week.

Rob

"...if it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all..." Born Under A Bad Sign, Albert King, 1967.
PS: I always preferred this version.








No comments:

Post a Comment