Friday, May 8, 2015

Song of the Week #348

Spotify playlist for most of this week's tunes (and extras): https://play.spotify.com/user/1233409237/playlist/0Ky2gFr0uef1NP46HLjeEU

This week at rehearsal, after the tunes for the upcoming gig were duly rehearsed and pronounced to be "well on the way" something interesting happened. George and Chief began playing Bob Dylan songs. They kept going, and going, and on, and so forth, into the night. These were songs I didn't know. I've never been able to crack the whole Bob Dylan thing despite giving it a red hot go a couple of times. Seriously I don't get it. He chooses a chord progression and plays it ad infinitum. The lyrics are usually pretty cool but the repetition is just too much for me. The Bob songs chosen for our show are crackers, but I don't know how anyone listens to a whole album or concert. Musically there isn't enough going on for me. I guess I'm off a few Christmas card lists now. I take it everyone has heard the story about Jimi Hendrix being unwilling to sing on his first album and being told that if Dylan can do it anyone can!

Jimi Hendrix - Like A Rolling Stone - https://youtu.be/ElJUjkZw8aw

The gig is still on May 30th so book now (at Vivaldis) and come along for an evening of carefully chosen tracks by Dylan, Lennon, Neil Young and Jason Isbell.

The new Isbell album is to be released very soon. The first track is available online now for a listen. See what you think.


I've bitten the bullet and booked my tickets to visit Zoë at Atavtabanga, Pentecost, Vanuatu. It's a bit of a challenge getting there including three flights on planes of decreasing size and then a ride in the back of a truck. It'll be an adventure if nothing else and I can't wait to see my girl and meet the people she's living with as well as her students. The countdown is on. 24 sleeps to go.

BB King is unwell. Very unwell. Having "hospice care" doesn't sound great although I am sure he is being well looked after. It's sad to hear that his children, lawyers and doctors are squabbling in the media. Stay classy folks.

BB King with Eric Clapton - Riding With The King - https://youtu.be/ajJBmcuzktw

A few years ago a limited edition Thin Lizzy 6 CD set was released. It contains live recordings made by them at the BBC. It's tough to get hold of and the only one I can find for sale is over $300. Ouch. Amazingly, the whole thing is on Spotify so I've been able to well and truly overdose on the swagger and power of Phil Lynott and the group. There's nary a dud moment in the whole collection which I must say, is pretty impressive. Thin Lizzy are still playing in one form or another. I listened to some newer stuff with an open mind and it's not half bad.

Thin Lizzy - The Warrior (Peel Session 1976) - https://youtu.be/k3jWd8Ibifw

Natural disasters, riots, wars, poverty, injustice and any number of related events have the potential to really give you the blues. It's often difficult not to feel either helpless or persecuted depending on what's going on. We all get overloaded at times by the news and often the way it's presented. I'm no expert but I do know from experience the feeling of complete helplessness and despair and it's horrid. People turn to many different things to get through, some healthy and some destructive. My advice, for what it's worth, is not to try and change the whole world. Choose a part, do your bit and live your life. Surround yourself with positive people and, after due consideration, ditch the naysayers. I did enjoy a quote that I read this week, "whatever the question, music is the answer". If you're down in the dumps choose music that lifts you up. It's different for everyone. Here's a few tunes that always bring a smile to my dial...

John Denver - Annie's Song - https://youtu.be/xs_CNnCqYvU

AC/DC - Ain't No Fun (Waitin' 'Round To Be A Millionaire) - https://youtu.be/ytmcdyacmIg

Billy Bragg - She's Got A New Spell - https://youtu.be/WdOglphR5-w

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' - https://youtu.be/VcjzHMhBtf0

That's all for this week folks. I've got a couple of cold hours to spend on the side of a football field and some Bislama revision to be getting on with.

Lukum yu!

Rob

"One heart, one love..." , Bob Marley, One Love, 1977.

No comments:

Post a Comment