Saturday, October 24, 2015

Song of the Week #371

Treat your ears this week with my hand picked, super-duper, extra special and perhaps interesting collection of tunes!

First up is a band called Palma Violets from England. To be frank, I thought this was a Clash song that I didn't recognise the first time I heard it, all the elements are there. However, it's a new track and it bubbles along rather well. I envisage a sweaty and enthusiastic crowd singing along to this one!

Palma Violets - English Tongue - https://youtu.be/3GjMW2n4v9s

While we're with bands exhibiting a clear punk influence let's go back a little while to the mid 80's and a ripper of a track from one of my favourite bands, The Pogues.

The Pogues - Sally MacLennane - https://youtu.be/fvV5mryQF1I

If you've never listened to The Pogues then start with the album that the above song comes from, it's called "Rum, Sodomy & The Lash".

For some reason it looks like I'm on a bit of a punk trip this week. It always amuses me that Blondie are referred to as a punk band. I guess they are one of the links between punk and new wave. American Punk is also quite different to that which came out of the UK. So how did Johnny Rotten fit in post Sex Pistols? Just fine thanks very much.


The Dead Weather have a new album out (Dodge and Burn, September 25th). They are an interesting band and even though I'm not a huge Jack White fan I like what this band comes up with. Here's a track from their previous album which I have permanently on my music devices and then a new track.

The Dead Weather - I Cut Like A Buffalo - https://youtu.be/RYDhw8_lAn0

The Dead Weather - I Feel Love (Every Million Miles) - https://youtu.be/98oMvKF-78Y

My turntable is in the throes of giving up the ghost. Every now and then it just stops in the middle of a song and whilst the slowing of the track is mildly amusing it's mostly annoying. It happened the other night during a live recording of ZZ Top and I'm sure that's some kind of sacrilege. I may have to admit defeat and look for a new one. Old ZZ Top albums are always good and "Fandango" is no exception. The A side of the LP is live and the B side contains some great studio tracks. It's a great place to start if you want to avoid the synthesizer driven tunes of the 80s.

ZZ Top - Thunderbird (live 1975) - https://youtu.be/ytZrzwfJn1g?t=1m15s

Coming up next is a tune from an American singer called Mark Lanegan. I heard the song thanks to the "Discover" setting on Spotify. Mark was in a band you may have heard of called Screaming Trees who were contemporaries of Alice In Chains, Mudhoney, Pearl Jam and other Seattle grunge acts. This next song is more indie rock than grunge. I'll take some time to listen to the full album I think which is called "Phantom Radio". If you liked Andy Prieboy's "Upon My Wicked Son" then you should enjoy this. Everyone else should listen anyway. It starts with that wavy, wobbly guitar sound that I like so much. Judicious use of a tremolo pedal!

Mark Lanegan Band - Harvest Home - https://youtu.be/9QfALT4nbvU

It wouldn't be a week on the World Wide Woozle without one heavier track. Veteran Brish band Saxon have a new album out called Battering Ram and it was released last week. For a band that has been around since 1976 and the "New Wave of British Heavy Metal" they sound fantastic. They have had the same singer and guitarists for pretty much the whole time.

Saxon - Battering Ram - https://youtu.be/2oLC0nOfWGc

We'll finish this week with an indie-pop hit from New Zealanders, The Mutton Birds. Almost the perfect pop song in my opinion...

The Mutton Birds - Dominion Road - https://youtu.be/PfdvAVkg1X0

Yeah, this week was all about the music. Maybe I'll have some angst next time!

DJ Rob

"So what's the plan, brother man?
We're waiting on your cue.
There's nothing new, to listen to, we heard it through and through.
We know you're playing the best you can,
The truth is we don't give a damn...." - Foxy Shazam, Welcome To The Church of Rock & Roll, 2012.



No comments:

Post a Comment